Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dunk that Junk

Looking over all the mail we got this week, I think almost 90% of it is junk - credit card offers, home equity and debt consolidation pitches, catalogs, and other assorted cruft that goes straight to the recycle bin without even being opened. What a waste of paper!

I decided to spend a chunk of today figuring out how to stop the endless tide of junk mail. Luckily I found a very informative website that details how to opt-out of direct mail (as well as telephone solicitations).

In summary here are the steps I took today:
  • Credit Bureaus Main Opt-Out Line - Probably the majority of my junk mail results from lists provided by credit agencies such as Equifax and Transunion - these are the credit card and loan offers. I called 888 567-8688 and found out I can opt-out permanently online by visiting: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/. From here you can fill out an online form, and then you must print out and mail a paper form.
  • Experian Consumer Services - I called 402 458-5247 to opt out of non-credit offers from Experian. I simply had to leave my name, address, and phone number after the voice recording.
  • Direct Mail Lists - I wrote a simple letter to each of the following organizations and politely asked them to remove me from their direct mailing lists. I included my name and address.

DMA - Direct Marketing Association Opt-Out
Mail Preference Service
P.O. Box 282
Carmel, NY 10512

Dunn & Bradstreet
Customer Service
899 Eaton Ave.
Bethlehem, PA 18025

Metromail Corporation
List Maintenance
901 West Bond
Lincoln, NE 68521

R.L. Polk & Co. - Name Deletion File
List Compilation Development
26955 Northwestern Hwy
Southfield, MI 48034-4716

Database America
Compilation Department
470 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff, NJ 07677

I really hope these actions will help reduce the junk in our mailbox and save a few trees.

No comments: