Sunday, February 17, 2008

the time is now

This weekend I was asked a question I had never thought about before. Someone said to me, "So, when did you get into Obama?" I didn't know. After a few hems and haws and crinkling of the face, I narrowed it down to a period of time. It must have started after the 2004 DNC where Barack was the keynote speaker. At this point in my life I was just graduating college where I spent those years immersed in media and had a fervent hunger for politics. I remember snippets and references to the speech all over the news and from that moment on it became a snowball of media coverage until today. I can't remember not being 'into' Obama, because the more I learned about him the more my admiration for him grew; so it was only natural to support the idea of him running for president when it was first introduced.

At the time of the 2004 speech, I don't think anyone, including Barack, thought he would be the top presidential (not just democratic) candidate for 2008. But the people are speaking louder than ever. This is the time. This this his time. This is OUR time. It must be now. I truly believe if we let this great leader pass us by at this very moment in history, that it will be too late for our nation to recover and rebuild to the respected posture we once modeled.

Obama is what the world needs now.


2 comments:

Drake said...

Great post Julia! We both feel the excitement of this election and of the positive change that Barack Obama will bring to our country as president.

I wanted to add that the race for the Democratic presidential nomination is far from over. Barack has some tough tests ahead in Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania, and anything we the people can do to help makes a difference. If any of you are moved to donate to Obama's campaign, feel free to give through Julia's fundraising site. We can do it!

Also I wanted to reference a great blog post by an Obama enthusiast that recounts her journey to an Obama rally - it is well written and really makes you feel like you are there.

Elisabeth and Bob said...

The excitement and momentum of the Obama presidential run are the most positive events of 2008. We watch with concern--the Clinton machine is formidable--but also with hope.
Elisabeth and Bob