Monday, August 25, 2008

Day One - Democrats in Denver

Julia and I took the bus to work early this morning to beat the chaos downtown. We were surprised to find that the bus was not crowded and the traffic seemed almost normal. As we passed the Brown Palace (where we heard the Clintons were staying), Julia commented on the lack of commotion, though we did see a guy standing in front of the building with a camera tripod, no doubt waiting for celebrity to emerge.

As I walked to my building, I felt half relieved and half disappointed - was I expecting a mob of anarchists and grizzled protesters chanting and blocking my way at 7:30 AM? As Julia noted those guys probably sleep in late.

I was soon reminded that not all was normal; before I could open the door to my office, I noticed a man in a black suit sitting at a newly erected desk in the lobby, watching me. He politely demanded to see my security pass before he would let me proceed.

I work just blocks away from the convention center, so this added security makes sense. Julia works in the tallest building in Denver, so I am sure the security there is just as well-planned; probably more so. I expect this to be an exciting week here in the heart of the Mile High city.

No comments: