Thursday, March 1, 2007

And we're here!

Denver is now officially our new home. We even have driver's licenses, ice scrapers and chapstick to prove it! Drake and I meant to start this blog sooner, but we've been extremely busy. In fact, he's been working 12+ hour days so it may take him a bit longer to contribute. Sigh.

As many of you know, Denver is everything we'd hoped for. It's a cool city with so much culture and activities. I still cannot get over how NICE the people are - especially in the service industry. As someone pointed out to us, "It's because they want to be here." I also think it's because of all the sunshine.

My job hunt is still going strong. I've had two promising interviews and should hear back from the first one this week. Even if I don't get these positions I'm confident that I'll have a job by the end of the month. Our house is also in the process of being sold. Last night our Realtor informed us that we are officially in the "Sale Pending" phase. It's very exciting! We have relied on our Realtor for so much and he has been absolutely perfect. The task of selling a house is very daunting, especially 1700 miles away, and he has made it all very smooth for us. So if you're ever need an agent in Gainesville, we can refer you to ours as he was referred to us.

Before we moved I was curious if we would experience a little bit of culture shock. I know we didn't move to a remote, cannibalistic island, but it IS in the middle of the US and we are learning to survive with less oxygen. Alas we are still in North America where most areas are homogeneous with the next. I still find it so extraordinary to drive around and see this majestic mountain range filling most of the viewable horizon. And this morning I woke up to snow, which still seems to catch me off guard. I wonder if in a few years I will still find all these differences so pleasantly surprising.

There is so much more to report, but that will all come in time. Photos should be up soon as well.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys are settling in well. Lets hope Drake, doesn't need to work 12+ hours for too long.

Kristian Serrano said...

Please, please, please keep this up to date. There are many of us who miss you, and this blog makes us feel connected to you still. Here's to looking forward to the future adventures of Team Emko!

Elisabeth and Bob said...

We have waited for your blog and photographs, and now it is here! We are your permanent fans.
Elisabeth and Bob

Paul and Marilyn said...

I am not sure what a blog is, but I am really happy to be included in yours. Apparently, we have one now too, though I saved as draft rather than "publishing"...It does feel like you both are much closer now that you are "out west". Wish you were even closer though. In particular, Paul could use some help with the drywall he is installing in our new bathroom, and though I can't imagine remodels are Drake's thing excactly, somehow, I think he could make it feel really silly and worth doing at the same time. Here's to new cities, and to new bathrooms! Cheers! Marilyn (and Paul)

David Burdette said...

Thanks for sending this out. I'm looking forward to reading The Continuing Adventures Of TeamEmko. :-)

P.S. Have you figured out yet that the assertion, "It's a different kind of cold" is B.S.? :-) -dpb-