Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spring foward

Tomorrow marks the first full day of Spring and it's very apparent around Denver. Over the past month I've watched the snow slowly melt and the brown grass return to a vibrant green. When we first moved here I said to Drake, "It will be interesting to see what Denver looks like under all of this." See, when we moved here everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was white. White roads, white buildings, white parks, white signs. Our neighborhood park was used as a snow dumping ground so we even had enormous white mounds acting as visual barricades. Now the snow has all melted; occasionally we'll find areas that are shaded all day with ant hills of snow. The mountains in the distance have even taken a different hue. Denver truly is beautiful. Now I just wonder how long this unveiling will last. March is traditionally the snowiest month and one more big snow is predicted (which I'm actually hoping for so the snow on the mountains gets better for boarding).

This weekend Drake and I took our first snowshoeing adventure. It was great fun! We drove about an hour southeast and picked up the Colorado Trail at Kenosha Pass. At the top of the slope we were able to overlook South Park, which hosts the town (Fairplay) in which the Comedy Central cartoon is based off of. Trudging through the snow I occasionally found myself humming the well-known cartoon theme song by Primus. The good thing about snowshoeing is that there's no learning curve - anyone can do it. It's a lot like hiking but with a sort of sliding motion.

I hope everyone had a great St. Patty's Day! Holidays always make me think of my friends and family.

No comments: